Going Green can be Easy
We offer a wide variety of recycling solutions for our customers, including ink and toner, electronics and rechargeable batteries.
- Over the past six years Staples Business Advantage has collected an average of 220,000 empty ink/toner cartridges per year
- Launched in May of 2012, our electronics and battery take-back program received over 14,000 kg's of product from our Staples Business Advantage customers alone
- Staples Canada partners with Call2Recycle to collect and recycle batteries (rechargeable and alkaline). Successful efforts diverted almost 50,000 kg's of batteries from landfills in 2012
Easy on the planet
Ink & toner recycling
Staples is one of the world's largest ink recyclers, having recycled more than 110 million ink and toner cartridges in a 24 month period. We're committed to the highest level of sustainability by recycling or reusing 100% of a cartridge's components - the plastics in many end-of-life cartridges are reused to make other products, including items like office trays, pen and paper holders, and even Sustainable Earth by Staples™ calculator casings.
Through our driver pick-up program, we make it easy to recycle your empty ink and toner cartridges. We provide pallet pick-up programs for large returns and prepaid mailing labels for customers without driver service - and we will recycle any brand of ink and toner. Here’s the best part: it’s all provided free of charge so that doing the right thing is even easier.
Use our mailing label to send us your empty ink and toner cartridges for recycling, free of charge.
If you have 50 or more cartridges to send back at one time, we also offer full pallet pick up for customers. To arrange a bulk pick up email firstname.lastname@example.org
Cartridges that cannot be reused are recycled to create new products. The process is as follows:
1. Spent cartridges are collected for recycling
2. Carriers deliver used cartridges to collection center
3. Cartridges evaluated for recycling or reusing
4. Cartridges are recycled to extract components and raw material to be used in manufacturing new products or are sorted through ISO 9001 inspection process, remanufactured, tested and packaged for reuse.
Technology recycling services
We'll recycle your ink, batteries, and electronics. Our Tech Recycling Program is an eco-preferable plan that fits your schedule. Just give your recyclables to your driver at your next delivery. We accept ink and toner cartridges, computers and monitors, * desktop printers, batteries, computer peripherals and office machines.
Drivers can accept up to three units at a time, after which eCycle Solutions is available to pick up any surplus or bulky items. Staples currently offers this service through most of Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Quebec.
Please click here for the recycling waiver form, which must be completed and presented to your driver if you have requested customer recycling pickup by us.
*Limit three computers and three monitors per pickup.
Introducing IRIS to Staples Business Advantage
Introducing IRIS™ to Staples Business Advantage
On Earth Day 2013, we launched the Integrated Rated Indicator for Sustainability (IRIS™), an interactive tracking tool developed by Loop used to set goals, track progress and visually report on our sustainability initiatives to all our stakeholders. At Staples Business Advantage, we are committed to tracking our progress against 12 measurable targets within four main pillars which include: Ethics & Diversity, Sustainable Products, Sustainable Operations and Community Engagement.
In the colour-coded image, the IRIS™ illustrates the current status of each performance indicator relative to its targets. Over the years, the IRIS™ will provide a visual narrative of our progress towards sustainability.
Click here for a dynamic view of Staples Business Advantage's Sustainability efforts